Thursday, December 9, 2010

further to youtube

I wasn't sure if I could get words and video at the same time, so I chickened out and decided to do them as 2 separate blogs. 

First a note:  The very astute amongst you will have noticed that I don't have a blog for facebook and twitter.  I have just started to tweet, so can't blog on that yet, so decided to skip ahead while tweeting, mainly due to being so behind in my training!!!  and with deadlines looming. (I have also been doing blog comments, so I am ahead with that bit).  It is a great excuse to see what others are up to.  I am actually approaching this in a methodical way after and initial browse and am reading the blogs in chronological order so that I will see everything at least once (how very librairianish of me ).

Back to video.  Love it love it love it.  I am actually a fan of YouTube and my partner sends me interesting videos on a regular basis.  Again I am a bit passive and lazy, but kind of have a social RSS feeds system where people who know what I like regularly send me emails with links to videos I enjoy.  None of that actual having to go searching for stuff.  In fact this is the first time I have actually done this.  (I don't really have time to browse the net in my real life).  I didn't even know where to find it, but figured typing YouTube into a well known search engine would do the trick.  I found it through a slightly circuitous route, but I got there. 

I do however use YouTube purely for light entertainment - but then that is a library role too, like our light fiction and DVDs.  I highly value the entertainment value of libraries and think is is equally as important as the information value. 

For entertainment value... could we embed interesting, amusing or relevant videos on our website?  We could certainly make our own relevant clips to advertise things in the library or whatever, but somehow that excites me less :)

XXX
Harry

5 comments:

  1. What can I say, not alot about this course - all tools which I won't be using once it's done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use Youtube as entertainment too, I look up the acts on Britains got talent and those sort of shows. Some of the acts are very good, some are awful and some are funny.
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Harry,

    Just want to say, you are doing a great with your Blog. I have to agree, online videos is fun.
    All the best,

    Lizelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. You said: For entertainment value... could we embed interesting, amusing or relevant videos on our website?

    I think that's a great idea. Links to some of the training videos we have been watching for this training might be useful to our customers. Apart from the "useful" stuff there are also lots funny videos out there, most people could use a good laugh these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd agree Youtube can be very entertaining and fun. Light entertainment has a high value in my world!

    ReplyDelete